Easy Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls

Guys.  I've never made full-on yeasted dough cinnamon rolls before.  Why would I?  When you get a craving for cinnamon rolls on a weekend morning, you're popping a tube of Pillsbury pre-made ones, not mixing and letting dough rise for hours.  Even the quick-rise recipes are going to take much too long for me, and just make me sad when I'm still aching for a cinnamon roll hours later.
I'm sure some of you are good and take the time for truly amazing homemade cinnamon rolls.  But there's gotta be a better way for the rest of us!  And to get a little October going on up in here, I've decided to tackle pumpkin cinnamon rolls first!  Pumpkin, brown sugar, cinnamon, super easy dough, cream cheese glaze... yes, yes, yes, yes and yes!
I didn't have the pumpkin butter I thought I did in my cabinet, so a regular can of pumpkin puree had to fill in!  My first batch would be made with Pillsbury crescent dough.  Unroll it, and spread a thin layer of pumpkin puree on top.
1 tube of Pillsbury crescent rolls (or similar quick croissant dough)
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon cinnamon (not in the picture)
Sprinkle chopped pecans, cinnamon, and brown sugar on top.  Plenty of brown sugar to compensate for the plain pumpkin puree :-)
Roll up, and slice into 8 even rolls.
Bake for 8-10 minutes at 375 degrees, until golden brown.  Feel free to pile these into a round pan, they'd be pull-apart delicious!
Yumm yum yum!
And we'll get the glaze going in a bit, but I wanted to try the same experiment but with puff pastry dough.
1 sheet puff pastry dough
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon cinnamon (not in the picture because I'm sometimes bad at stuff)
The puff pastry version bakes at 400 degrees for 19-22 minutes, until golden and amazing.
Know what both of these need?  Icing.
1 oz cream cheese (regular or reduced fat version)
1 tablespoon pumpkin puree, mostly for the orange color
1 cup powdered sugar
1-2 tablespoons milk (whatever kind you have on hand)
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
Mix the cream cheese and pumpkin puree until uniform.
Add the powdered sugar and mix well.
Add a tablespoon of milk and mix.  If the icing needs to be a bit thinner to drizzle on top of the rolls, add a bit more milk.
Add the cinnamon and stir.
Drizzle on top of the rolls and try not to eat them all.
O. M. Freakin. G.
So which version won?  I think I actually liked the crescent roll dough better?  But I'm not entirely sure it was a clear winner, haha.
So whichever one you have on hand when your tummy starts rumbling on Sunday morning, that's your best bet :-)
How can you resist a gif?!  Go make these.
Happy October!  Enjoy!

Popular Posts