Gluten-Free Chocolate Banana Cakes

I really don't know how to explain these things.  They're kind of pudding/mousse-like, and kind of creamy-cake-brownie thing.  They taste like chocolate banana and are utterly addictive whatever you call them.
I made them for me, Becky, and my parents, and I tried to get them to help me name these things.  We came up with the description above...  But they did maintain that they loved them.  These cakes aren't too sweet or heavy, and are totally delicious and amazing.  Also, I had two bananas that were too ripe and I needed something to do with them.  Melt some chocolate, bake em, and call it good!  I used this recipe I found after some googling of what to do with old bananas :-)
Ingredients:
2 bananas, mashed or pureed
1/4 cup natural cane sugar, or brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 oz dark chocolate, melted and cooled
2 egg whites, beaten to stiff peaks
 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Combine the bananas, sugar, egg, vanilla extract, and salt.
Combine the chocolate and banana mixture until uniform.  Then carefully fold in the egg whites.  No need to mix like crazy, some areas of white left are fine!
Divide evenly into 4 buttered (or cooking sprayed) 8-oz ramekins, or 6 6-oz ramekins.  These cakes don't rise much, so you don't need to leave a lot of extra room at the top.
Set the ramekins in a baking or roasting pan and fill it with about 1 inch of water.  Bake for 21-23 minutes, or until just barely cooked through.  If you're lazy, you could probably forgo the water bath, but it keeps the cakes even more moist and delicious!
Yummmmm to the extreme!  Who knew bananas could act as the backbone of a cake/brownie/pudding thing?!
You know what would make these even more special?  A scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.
Especially if they're still warm and the ice cream will get all melty.
 OHMYGAWDWHATAREYOUWAITINGFORDIGIN!
 It just feels right.
Mom said she didn't even taste banana, just awesome chocolate mousse-ness.  Take it from someone who likes banana only when the flavor isn't overpowering- these are awesome, and make you feel totally right about eating dessert.
The next time you have bananas getting too ripe, make these chocolate cakes instead of one more loaf of banana bread!
Enjoy :-)

PS- I made everything the night before and left them uncooked in the fridge for the evening.  I baked them the next night at my parents place to be nice and fresh and warm for us, to great success!

Popular Posts