Spider Cookies for Halloween (Peanut Butter and Chocolate)

I just got back from the River from our second Oyster Fest weekend!  Trust me, there were a bunch of pictures taken, and you'll hear all about it soon!  But I'm sure you have some Halloween events coming up that you need a super simple cookie to take to, so here's the recipe, as promised!
Actually, kind of not a recipe, because you know what I used?  A bag of Betty Crocker peanut butter cookie mix.  Add oil, an egg, and some water (as directed on the bag).  Roll into 1-inch balls, bake as directed.  Easy peasy!
Now comes the fun part.  Use some large baking chips and as soon as the cookies come out of the oven, press one into the top of each (I used both milk and dark chocolate chips).  While I was rotating trays into and out of the oven, and getting a chocolate piece onto each of them, I prepared my chocolate piping bag for the spider legs and eyes.
Melt an equal number of dark and milk chocolate chips in a plastic bag.  I used 8 chips of each, a gallon-size ziploc bag, and pushed them all into the corner of the bag (placed in a mug to keep them in place) and microwaved on 30 second intervals until the chocolate was melty.  It took a few tries, since the mug was insulating them a little, but just massage the bag a little until everything is the same melty consistency but not burning hot (think hot car, oops I left my chocolate bar on the seat melty).
Snip a tiny little hole in the bottom of the bag now, and carefully pipe 8 legs onto each spider!
The first one I did, I thought it looked like a cat nose and whiskers.  I then couldn't get that image out of my head as I prepared each one, thinking more and more that these didn't look like spiders.
PS- thank you Eric for the pictures as I decorated, you got some amazing action shots for me!
So anyways, when I finished every spider cookie, thinking these looked like cat whisker cookies, I decided each cookie needed a pair of eyes.  Now listen, I know spiders have 8 eyes <shudder>, and it probably would have been fine without the pair of eyes, but I liked them so much better once they had these little dots for eyes.  Dontcha think?
Pile of spider cookies, ready for delivery!  I made these the day before the party, so that they had plenty of time to harden before being stacked on top of each other.
Aren't these the cutest spiders you've ever seen?!  Way cuter than the ones I find in the corners of my place and freak out about.  And I heard a rumor that the toddlers were devouring them secretly before anyone caught them.  Success!
Make these crazy easy Spider Cookies for your next Halloween party, Fall Into Fall party, or whenever you need a cute little cookie for something special.  Enjoy!

Popular Posts