Chicken with Pesto Cream Sauce and Veggies

Guys, I kind of give up.  Winter is the worst for daylight, and unless I'm headed home at noon to photograph food, it's too dark when I get home to photograph anything.  I know, I know, I can photograph on the weekends, but sometimes I have other things going on!
So this is the perfect example of poor planning- sunlight in the beginning, then too dark for good pictures.  I'll get it right eventually! 
 Sorry, I really do like the seasons, I just need better light is all!
I have a really hearty meal here to make up for the early evening darkness, though.  Chicken in a pesto cream sauce, and some awesome veggies!  Crusty bread to dip in the sauce if you want, and potatoes to fill you up if that's your preference.  Oh and did I mention crumbled bacon because it's fantastic with all of these ingredients?  It's all amazing!
Ingredients:
1 lb chicken breasts, sliced thin, or cut in half
1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
1 8 oz container baby bella mushrooms, chopped
1 bunch asparagus, chopped
1/3 cup pesto
1/3 cup heavy cream
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional- Diced and roasted potatoes, loaf of french bread, crumbled bacon to go on top of everything in the world

(If serving with roasted potatoes- heat your oven to 425, dice your potatoes and spread on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.  Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and about 1 tablespoon of olive oil then mix up with your hands.  Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until browned to your liking)

Heat a medium skillet with high-ish sides over medium high heat.  Add just a bit of olive oil to the pan, and add the mushrooms and asparagus to the pan.  Stir around and cook until they're getting a bit brown- about 6-8 minutes.  Remove to a plate, or bowl.

Add another bit of olive oil to the pan, and add the chicken.  Let cook 3-4 minutes per side, or until cooked through.  Meanwhile, stir the pesto and cream together in a liquid measuring cup and set aside.

When the chicken is cooked through and starting to brown, add the veggies back to the pan, and pour the pesto cream sauce over everything.  Stir everything a bit, and let the cream sauce come to a boil and reduce a little.  The flavors will meld and the sauce will thicken.  Serve alongside roasted potatoes, or with bread to soak up the cream sauce!

Popular Posts