Vegan Maple Caramel Sauce

A while ago, Edible Perspective posted a recipe for samoa donuts, but all I could see was the caramel sauce she posted to be part of the topping.  It was vegan, and simply a mix of almond butter and maple syrup.  It sounded amazing, and I've just been waiting for the right moment to bust it out.
I think Thanksgiving is the right time!  I've made an apple cobbler, to be posted soon, also gluten-free and vegan, and it seemed like the perfect opportunity.

Also, let's talk about my obsession with these two ingredients.  I have many relatives in New England, and some cousins of my dad's harvest their own maple syrup.  I know you've heard about me restocking every August when I go up for the family reunion, but you can also buy the syrup online here!

I've never been a huge peanut butter fan.  I find it overwhelming to any other ingredient, and while I love Reese's peanut butter cups, I don't eat a lot of peanut butter otherwise, haha.  But I find almond butter to be much less obtrusive, and love to eat almond butter on graham crackers as a snack.  Also, if I find myself getting hangry but dinner isn't ready yet, a spoonful will really help all involved.  Trust.  Justin's, a Boulder, CO brand, makes amazing almond butter, and I'm particularly into their maple almond butter.  It's kind of the best, and when this stuff goes on sale, I go a little crazy for it.  But I branched out recently and bought some vanilla almond butter to try, and thought it would be perfect for this caramel sauce!

Not a paid advertisement, I just really love these brands.
Anyways, onward and upward!  Or let's just make this crazy easy caramel sauce.  Because Ashley is right, it tastes crazy similar to regular caramel sauce.  I've used it as a topping for the apple crisp, but I will definitely use it as a dip for graham crackers, and an ice cream topping.  It would probably be perfect on pancakes or mixed into oatmeal as well.  All the things!
Easy Caramel Sauce (from Edible Perspective)

Ingredients:
1/2 cup almond butter (flavored almond butter if desired!)
1/2 cup maple syrup

Mix until uniform.  Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 1 month.  Probably 2, but I don't think this is going to last that long.
Enjoy!

Popular Posts