Foolproof Biscuits with Maple Syrup and Sea Salt

Sunday morning calls for a little something extra.  After the crazy week I had, I wanted something warm and filling and biscuits seemed like a good option.  I had this recipe pinned that seemed totally do-able, even though I don't make biscuits umm ever, haha.
They're not hard to make, and I think they turned out fantastically considering it's really the first time I made straight up biscuits.  I might be in love with these- totally worth a little extra time on a Sunday.  Or perhaps for a Christmas morning breakfast?  They can be made ahead of time and refrigerated until ready to bake.  I highly recommend these!
Simple ingredients for biscuits, plus a little maple syrup spread on top before baking.
All the dry ingredients whisked together.  Then use a food processor to pulse in some butter, or hand cut the butter in, either works!
 Stir in the milk, and turn out onto a floured surface.
I just used my hand to pat it down flat, then fold the dough in half and half again.  I did that twice to really get really flaky biscuits.
After those folds, I carefully shaped the dough into a rectangle.
Rather than waste time cutting circular biscuits and needing to reshape dough, I just cut these guys into rectangles!  It's easy and it's not like it's going to ruin anything.  Just like with a biscuit cutter though, be sure to press down with the knife and not drag it through the dough though!  The layers won't rise as much in the oven otherwise.
Place the biscuits an inch apart on a parchment lined baking sheet.  Put this whole thing in the fridge and chill for at least an hour.  I swear it's important!  If you plan on making these the night before, cover with plastic wrap before putting them in the fridge to chill.
When ready to bake- whether in an hour or the next day, drizzle some maple syrup on top and spread it around in an even layer.
 And of course, hit em with a little bit of sea salt on top.
Oh my goodness, those chunks of butter in there are going to make the flakiest lightest biscuits!  Throw them in the oven and get ready for a wonderful morning.
 Puffed up and gorgeous.
Maple butter, and maple almond butter caramel are perfect accompaniments here.
This is exactly what my morning needed.  Warm flaky biscuits, lots of carbs, and maple butter.  I could feel the stress rolling off me with each bite.
Yummmm!  I'm sorry, I've run out of words at this point for how amazing these biscuits are.  So get on it!
Foolproof Biscuits with Maple Syrup and Sea Salt:
Ingredients:
3 cups (384 grams) all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
12 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
1 1/4 cups buttermilk (I didn't have this, so I used 3/4 cup cream, 3/4 cup skim milk, and a few drops of lemon juice to tang it all up- seemed to work really well!!)
Maple syrup to brush on top
Sea salt to sprinkle on top

If using a food processor: add all the dry ingredients to the bowl of a large food processor and pulse to mix evenly.  Add the cold cubes of butter and pulse 6-8 times for 1 second each, until the butter is the size of peas, at the largest.  Pour out into a large bowl.  If not using a food processor: add all the dry ingredients to a large bowl and whisk together.  Add the cold butter cubes and incorporate with a pastry cutter, two knives, or your fingers!

Pour in the buttermilk, or in my case, my frankenstein milk mixture.  Stir around with a wooden spoon and turn onto a floured surface.  Pat the dough down into a uniform thickness (about 1") and fold in half, then half again.  Pat out into a 1" thickness again, and fold in half and half once again.  Pat out into 1" thickness and shape into a rectangle, and cut into 8 rectangles, or feel free to use a biscuit cutter to make circular biscuits :-).

Place the biscuits onto a parchment lined baking sheet and place in the fridge for at least 1 hour to rest.  These can be left overnight and baked in the morning if desired.

When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 425 degrees.  Once preheated, put the biscuits in the oven and immediately drop the temperature to 400 degrees.  Bake for 15-20 minutes (mine took 18 to be this perfectly golden brown).

While baking, a little serving of maple butter can be made!  Mine was about 1 tablespoon softened butter and 1 teaspoon maple syrup.  The butter wasn't quite soft enough to mix, so I nuked the mixture for a few seconds to speed up the process.

Serve biscuits with jam, maple butter, honey butter, maple almond butter caramel... the possibilities are endless!  Enjoy!

Popular Posts