Triple Chocolate Chunk - Ben's Cookies

Yay!  It's my blog's 3rd birthday!  I don't have any words of wisdom, because I'm still learning, but I have loved expanding my views this year.  My friend and fellow blogger alerted me to sites like foodgawker and tastespotting.  I just had no idea these things existed, and if I have a fun recipe, I try to get it posted over there.  Sometimes it feels like a popularity contest and bending my aesthetic to theirs, but it's also challenged me to think more about each post and push to make each picture better.  So it's good to be nudged in the right direction sometimes.

With that, let's move on to these awesome cookies!  I've been meaning to revisit this Ben's Cookies recipe since I posted last March, recreating the amazing cookies I had while in London and Oxford.  I still felt they could be softer, and I really needed the chocolate discs (not chips) that Ben's uses to achieve the right flavor and taste.  In fact, they should be used inside the cookie exclusively, but whatever, we're adapting here :-)
I managed to find these chocolates at my local grocery store, Weis if you're local, but a quick search on Amazon for "chocolate discs" gives you some options to pick from as well.  To get the true Ben's Cookies experience, we need dark, milk, and white chocolate discs!  I also increased the size of the cookie itself, which helped create a crisp exterior and a soft center, especially when warm right out of the oven.  One bite and I was transported back to Oxford, when this warm cookie became part of a cold morning and I was instantly happier and ready to explore!
I've updated the recipe on the previous post about these (decreasing the flour just a little bit more in the chocolate cookies, to reflect my success in this round), and I'll give you a new recipe below to create a wonderful imitation of Triple Chocolate Chunk Cookies, because that white chocolate is sometimes essential.
6 cookies per sheet, because they need the room.  3 types of chocolate to top, and another to be all melty in the middle.  This feels like a math problem.
Press the chocolates on top, pressing down the cookie a little as we go, and we'll be ready to bake.
Oh hello gorgeous chocolate cookie!  Fancy meeting you here.
The cocoa powder in the cookie keeps things from becoming too sweet, and I didn't put as many chocolate chips in the batter this time either, which allowed the chocolate discs on top to shine a little brighter.  Some milk to wash it all down is so necessary.
I can't get over how amazing these cookies are.  They're also big enough that I didn't immediately eat 4 before I even got any pictures, 1 was all I wanted and the rest are waiting for me in my freezer, to heat up one at a time each evening.  I hope you enjoy these updated cookies, even closer to the real thing!
Triple Chocolate Chip Cookies:
makes about 16 large cookies
1 1/2 cup (300g) sugar
16 tablespoons butter (2 sticks, 225g) softened butter
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups (250g) self-rising flour (or make your own)
2/3 cup (75g) cocoa powder
2 tablespoons milk
4 oz. dark chocolate chips (or semi-sweet)
32 dark chocolate discs (for both topping and filling)
16 milk chocolate discs
16 white chocolate discs

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Cream the butter and sugar together in the bowl of a stand mixer until pale in color, and light and fluffy.  Scrape the sides of the bowl down, and add the egg and vanilla extract.  Mix until uniform.

Add the flour and cocoa powder to a separate bowl, stirring to combine.  Add this mixture in two batches to the stand mixer bowl, adding the 2 tablespoons milk with the second addition of flour.  Add the chocolate chips to the batter and pulse the stand mixer until combined.

Using a large cookie scoop, drop 6 balls of dough onto a lined baking sheet.  Slide 1 dark chocolate disc into the center of the cookie and re-form the dough as needed.  Press 1 disc each of dark, milk, and white chocolate into the top of each ball of dough, pressing down a little as well.  (If you want to be more true to the Ben's Cookies style, use the dark and milk chocolate discs in the batter instead, adding more to replace the chips as well, and just press one white chocolate disc into the top of each cookie.)

Bake for 12-15 minutes.  These chocolate cookies will be hard to determine when they're done, but mine were good at 13 minutes each time.  Allow to cool at least 15 minutes on the baking sheet.  Serve warm with a glass of milk :-)
Enjoy!

Popular Posts