Butternut Squash and Feta Tart

I've photographed several recipes, some are still on my camera, and all have remained untouched for much too long.  I've been a bit overwhelmed this past week...well, two weeks.  I might not be posting as often as I'd like, but I'm still thinking of you guys and will hopefully get to the backlog of food pictures soon.  Thanks for having patience with me!
Back to the task at hand.  Did you make the butternut squash and feta hand pies?  Did you have leftover ingredients?  I did!  A sheet of puff pastry and a little more cheese created another amazing vegetarian meal!
You could, of course, just eat these roasted veggies plain, or do any number of things with the leftovers.  But I also had mozzarella cheese in my fridge, and a savory tart/ pizza sounded delicious.  You can use any extra cheese you have in the fridge, or you can just stick with the feta!
I ate my first slice plain, but the second time around I added a poached egg on top to make it even more of a meal.  These would be delicious for brunch too!
I know we're moving away from roasted veggies in favor of snappy green ones, but the recent snow and constant cold we've got over here proves there's still a little bit of winter left.
Butternut Squash and Feta Tart

Ingredients:
1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
1 whole egg, beaten
1 lb butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed, and cut into 1/2" chunks
1/2 red onion, large dice
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
about 1 ounce feta cheese, crumbled
4 oz. fresh mozzarella

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. 

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the diced butternut squash and red onions on it.  Drizzle the veggies with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Roast in the oven for 25 minutes, until starting to brown on the edges and remove from the oven.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and place the thawed sheet of puff pastry on it.  Using a knife, score the pastry 1/2" from the edge, and prick the center overall with a fork.  Brush with the beaten egg and bake for 5 minutes.

Remove pastry from the oven and layer roasted butternut squash and red onion, feta cheese, and mozzarella cheese.

Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until the pastry is browning, and the mozzarella cheese is melting and starting to bubble to your liking.
Enjoy!

Popular Posts