Butternut Squash Hand Pies for Pi Day

3.14.15  The most epic Pi Day there will ever be!
I'm actually not a huge fan of pies.  Making pie crust scares me a little (despite getting a little better at cutting butter into flour), and cookies and brownies have always been my weapon of choice.  Pies are right up there with cakes, IMO, because they seem like they need an occasion.  Also, eating an entire pie by oneself seems sort of depressing.
But others don't feel the same way.  In particular, my spirit animal Joy the Baker.  She could make pie crust during a New Orleans heatwave and not break a sweat (and she frequently does).  I'm pretty sure she makes pies in her sleep and wakes up to wonderful breakfasts of fruit pies.  This is starting to sound like a Disney movie.
But for Pi Day, anything is possible!  I set out to conquer my fear of pie crust!  And it didn't work.  Even with a wonderful, glorious, beautiful, trustworthy food processor.  I managed to overwork the dough.  I could tell it wasn't going to be gorgeously flaky and complete perfection, but I forged ahead anyways.  Maybe one of these days I'll get better at it, but for now making pie dough is a self-fulfilling prophecy: I'm afraid of screwing it up, I get all nervous, then I screw it up and don't want to try again for another year.  I'll never get better, but whatevs, at least I tried haha.
I also should have rolled out the dough thinner, I couldn't quite get the 6 hand pies the recipe said.
So beyond this pie crust being overworked, I quite enjoyed the hand pies!  Creamy and sweet roasted butternut squash, salty feta, and slightly bitter red onions all worked really well in these portable hand pies.
Perfect little goodies to take into work for lunch (warm them in the microwave first for about 45 seconds, then finish in a toaster oven to stay crispy).  And don't worry, I have a wonderful recipe coming up to use the rest of these roasted veggies and crumbled feta cheese.
Happy Pi day everyone!

Butternut Squash and Feta Hand Pies (from Blogging Over Thyme)

Ingredients:
Pie Dough:
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into cubes
1/4 cup ice water

Filling:
1 lb butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed, and cut into 1/2" chunks
1/2 red onion, large dice
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
about 1 ounce feta cheese, crumbled

Assembly:
1 whole egg, beaten

Prepare your pie dough at least an hour before preparing pies.  Dough can be stored for up to 3 days in the fridge.

Pulse flour and salt in a food processor to mix thoroughly.  Add the cubed butter and pulse until the largest pieces of butter are the size of peas.  Pour the ice cold water into the food processor while pulsing until the dough starts to come together loosely.  Turn the dough out onto a clean counter and shape together into a disc.  Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the diced butternut squash and red onions on it.  Drizzle the veggies with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Roast in the oven for 25 minutes, until starting to brown on the edges.  Let cool completely before assembling pies!

Preheat the oven now to 375 degrees.  Take the pie dough out of the fridge and let it warm up for 5 to 10 minutes before rolling out on a clean floured surface into a rectangle about 12"x12" (which I failed at).  Cut into 12 equal rectangles 3"x4" (which again, I failed at). 

Portion out a spoonful of the squash and onion mixture, and a small spoonful of feta cheese on 6 of the rectangles.  Make sure to leave at least 1/2" along the edges.  Brush the edges with the beaten egg and top each with one of the other 6 rectangles.  Use a fork to crimp the edges and seal the pies.  Brush the tops with egg wash and use a sharp knife to cut two slits in the top of each pie.  Place on a lined baking sheet and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown.  Let cool for 5 to 10 minutes and serve warm!

Enjoy!

Popular Posts