Blackberry Gin Fizz

When I buy blackberries, and spend a ridiculous amount for like 8 berries (exaggeration, but not by much), I find it hard to want to bake with them or make a sauce that will go towards a drink that I would drink without the blackberries.
Long story short, my parents have a blackberry bush at their place in Virginia, so when I picked a ton there over the 4th of July weekend, I knew I wanted to try a drink I had been eying for way too long.  Smitten Kitchen's Blackberry Gin Fizz.
My first glass included tonic water which Eric liked, but the next day Eric and I picked up club soda at the store and it was more to my taste.
Puree blackberries with some sugar, then strain the mixture to remove the seeds.
 Mix up the blackberry sauce, club soda, lime juice, and gin.  Live it up :-)
Blackberry Gin Fizz (recipe from Smitten Kitchen)
makes 2 drinks

1/4 cup fresh blackberries
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup gin (just shy of 3 shots)
1/4 cup fresh lime juice (from about two limes)
Club soda
2 sprigs sweet basil or 2 thin lime wedges (for garnish)

Purée blackberries and sugar in a blender until as liquefied as possible.  Strain the purée through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl/liquid measuring cup/ your drink glasses.  Discard the seeds left in the sieve.  Divide blackberry puree, gin, and lime juice between two tall glasses and stir to combine.  Add ice to each glass, then top with soda.  Add garnish as desired.  Cheers!

Popular Posts