CSA Week 2 - Sauteed Swiss Chard

I learned a lot from my first weekly CSA box.  I had way too much food leftover, and ended up not finishing everything.  I realized I needed to reassess, immediately.  This box included lettuce, spring onions, strawberries, snow peas, eggs, kohlrabi, apples, and swiss chard.
So rather than trying to make large meals out of these veggies, I would learn how to prepare each vegetable, and figure out how I liked each one!  My dad has told me a story about Thomas Jefferson, and I can't find anything online to verify this, but it could totally be true.  TJ was an avid gardener, and the closest thing to a vegetarian president we've ever had.  Supposedly, when people would ask him how to prepare a unique vegetable they'd never used before, he would tell them "just prepare it how you'd prepare asparagus."  We're not sure if he actually knew how to prepare those new veggies, but it is an interesting concept to explore!  I love asparagus, it's probably my favorite veggie.  And sauteed in a pan with some oil, salt, pepper, and garlic is one of the best ways I cook it.  (Otherwise, roasted in the oven at 425 with the same ingredients added.)  So swiss chard?  Saute it!  Snow peas?  Saute!
I baked chicken and sweet potatoes at the beginning of the week, and the CSA filled in the rest.  I made applesauce with the apples (they were soft and not awesome to eat plain), I ate the strawberries plain.  I used the spring onions as garnish for a lot of foods, and peeled the kohlrabi, sliced it thin and baked it into chips.
The swiss chard required a little research.  I learned the stalks are tough and fibrous, but if they're sauteed longer, they're totally edible and still give some crunch to everything.  It turned out to be delicious!  So far, so good!  Just prepare your veggies the same way you prepare your asparagus :-)

Sauteed Swiss Chard
1 bunch swiss chard, cleaned, with stems removed
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or to taste)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Chop the stems of the swiss chard into bite sized pieces.  Tear the leaves into more manageable sizes (they'll wilt when cooked, but tearing each large leaf into 4-5 smaller ones would help).

Heat a large pan over medium heat with the olive oil added.  Add the swiss chard stems and cook for about 10 minutes, or until soft.  Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds, stirring often to prevent burning, then add the swiss chard leaves, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper.  Saute for a minute or two, or until the leaves have wilted.  Remove from the heat and serve warm.

Enjoy!

Popular Posts