CSA Week 6 - Crispy Kale

I did it.  I crossed over to the dark side.  I fell for kale.  Can we really consider this jumping on the bandwagon if it's several years too late?  We've already had a few other veggie fads, so at this point it's practically embarrassing that I've been converted.  (PS- did you know a PR firm was hired to "sell us" kale?  It worked!)
I got kale in one of my CSA boxes, and I kinda glared at it for a second, before deciding it had to get the same treatment as all the other vegetables.  Oil, salt, pepper, and a hot oven.  I had been converted to broccoli using this very same method, so kale had good chances.
I wasn't trying to make kale chips, I was going more for crisp edges and chewy centers (also how I like my chocolate chip cookies fun fact), where it would still taste like kale and not just completely dehydrated and trying to be potato chips.  And it was amazing.  I ate the whole bunch in one sitting and wished I had more.  It felt so good to devour all of that kale, even if there was some oil involved.  I added a sweet potato and some fried eggs to call this a meal, and I was completely sold on this famous veggie.
Crispy Kale
serves 4, unless you're me and go nuts eating it all yourself

Ingredients:
1 bunch kale
1 tablespoon oil
Salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

Prep your kale- I washed each stalk, took hold of the end of the stem in one hand, and grabbed te base of the leaf with the other hand, stripping the leaf off the stem as I pulled my hands apart.  Tear some of the larger pieces in half.

Line a baking sheet with foil and pile the kale on it.  Drizzle the oil on top and massage the kale to get it evenly coated in oil.  No need to separate out each leaf from the others, that will help you get a mix of crispy pieces and wilted, which I loved.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and bake for 10-15 minutes, until the edges of the leaves are browned and crisp but there are still green wilted leaves too.  Serve warm.

Popular Posts