CSA Week 7 - Insalata Caprese

The last week of the spring CSA share (there are 7 weeks each of spring, summer, and fall shares) was a "pick your own" option.  We could pick out our own box, totaling the usual $ amount per week, but whatever we wanted!
I picked some of my favorites, kale and green beans, and a few of the things I had been waiting to show up for summer- corn and tomatoes.  I'll give you the recipe for those gorgeous blistered green beans below, don't you worry, but for now, let's focus on one of my favorite summer dinners- insalata caprese!
Insalata caprese is an Italian salad, made of tomatoes and mozzarella.  I love to eat this on repeat for dinner, and I was so excited to snag some gorgeous cherry tomatoes to start feeding my addiction (literally).  Basil, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper are all wonderful additions, but sometimes I omit one or all of them and just focus on the stars of the show.  And now that tomatoes are so ubiquitous, this is a really cheap and filling dinner.
Insalata Caprese*

Ingredients:
1 pint cherry tomatoes, rinsed and dried
1 container fresh mozzarella balls, drained of any liquid (or slices will work too!)
Handful of fresh basil leaves
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper

Combine the tomatoes and mozzarella in a medium bowl.  Slice the basil into thin strips and add to the bowl.  In a small prep bowl, mix the olive oil and balsamic, and drizzle over the tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil.  Sprinkle salt and pepper over everything.  Stir to evenly coat the mozzarella and tomatoes with everything, and serve!  Best served cold.

*This recipe is very loose- feel free to add more or less of any item, depending on your feelings towards basil, balsamic, or whatever.  And I won't fault you if you have way more mozzarella than tomatoes!
Enjoy!

Popular Posts