CSA Week 7 - Peach and Blueberry Crisp

This is my favorite dessert I've made in a long time.  And that's saying something, since anything chocolate will win my heart easily.  But I used blueberries and peaches from the CSA, and added just a few more ingredients make some magic.
I don't love blueberries, for whatever reason.  Their skins bug me when they're fresh, and when baked I find them too fake-tasting (I think one too many bad packaged blueberry muffin ruined me there).  They've just never been my thing.  But peaches?  Oh yeah, give me more of those.  So when I didn't know how to finish up my pint (actually double pint) of blueberries, I looked to the peaches I had and was inspired.  And you know what?  I loved the blueberries in this.  Woot!
I devoured these.  I even ate one for breakfast one morning, and it was everything I wanted in life.  So let's get started.
A quick drop into boiling water makes the peach skin come right off.
Sliced peaches, blueberries, sugar, flour, and !bourbon! are mixed, then left to meld together while the topping is made.  I guess you don't need to add the bourbon if you don't want to.  But I highly recommend adding the bourbon.  Like, really highly.  Like, elevate this dessert from regular to amazing, really highly.  Like, secret ingredient "what did you put in here?!" highly.  Ok, have I made my point?  It's only 2 tablespoons, and the alcohol will bake off and leave behind a wonderful flavor that your crisp really needs.  So do it.
Some butter, flour, sugar, salt, and cinnamon.  Mixed and ready to top these bad boys.
Divide and conquer.
Bubbling and oh so amazing right out of the oven.
The bourbon really made a difference, adding a depth to the sweet peaches and blueberries.  The crumble absorbed some of the juices, but was perfectly crispy on top.
I don't think I need to tell you that a scoop of vanilla ice cream is very welcome on these, especially when it starts melting into the fruit compote that's created.
I am absolutely going to make these again.  As soon as possible.  My only issue is that I'll end up eating every last one of them, and licking the ramekin clean.  It's not the worst thing in the world, but maybe I should next make them when people are coming over.
Oh goodness I can't help myself around these.
Individual Peach and Blueberry Crisps
serves 6

Ingredients:
Fruit Filling:
2 cups blueberries
5-6 ripe peaches (about 1.5 lbs)
2 tablespoons bourbon (substitute 1 tablespoon vanilla extract if desired)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour

 Crumble Topping:
1 cup flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 stick cold unsalted butter (1/4 lb, or 8 tablespoons), cut into small cubes

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  Bring a medium pot of water to boil over high heat.  Add the peaches and let boil for 2-3 minutes.  Remove to a medium bowl with ice water to stop them from cooking, or run under cold water until cooled off.  Cut the peaches in half and remove the pits and outer skins.  Cut each peach into 8 slices (each half into 4 sections) and add to a medium mixing bowl.  Add the blueberries, bourbon, sugar, and flour, and mix until the dry ingredients are evenly coating the fruit.  Set aside while you make the topping.

In the mixing bowl of a stand mixer, mix the flour, both sugars, cinnamon, and salt until uniform.  Add the cold diced butter and mix until the butter is the size of peas and the mixture is holding together in some parts.

Line a baking tray with foil, and place 6 ramekins evenly spaced on the baking sheet.  Evenly distribute the fruit filling among the ramekins, making sure to distribute the flour/fruit juices as well.  Add an equal amount of topping to each ramekin.  The easiest way to do this distribution part (without using a scale and getting all scientific) is to start small in each ramekin and keep adding to each one until all of the fruit and topping are gone.

Place the entire tray in the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes, until the topping is golden brown and the fruit is bubbling around the edges.  Let cool for 5-10 minutes, then serve warm, preferably with ice cream on top.

To store- cover each ramekin individually with plastic wrap and store in the fridge for up to a week.  To reheat, place in a 350 degree oven for about 10-15 minutes (remove the plastic wrap first!), until bubbling.
Enjoy!

Popular Posts