InstaRecipe: Taco Bowl

With all of my tests to study for, I wasn't spending much time in the kitchen making complicated recipes.  It wasn't that I wasn't photographing things, I just wasn't making intricate dinners at all.  I fell back on easy meals, especially ones that would create a lot of leftovers.  I used the leftovers for lunches at work, or as dinners ready for the week if desired.  I found it easy to fall back on this recipe often, or lack of a recipe actually.  The base is rice and your preference of meat, I usually use ground turkey breast or chicken breast, though this can be made vegetarian very easily as well.  Then I added in whatever I was feeling for the week.  Recently I've been adding in sauteed peppers for a bit more green, and it stretches the recipe a bit, but here's the original one I made.

Taco Bowl:
Serves 4

Ingredients:
1 cup uncooked rice
1 packet Sazon seasoning (by Goya)
1 lb ground turkey
1 tablespoon Adobo Seasoning
2 small sweet potatoes, diced
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 ripe plantains, sliced into coins
2 ripe avocados, halved and sliced
2 roma tomatoes, or your favorite tomatoes, sliced into thin wedges
Canola oil, divided use

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.  Line a baking tray with parchment paper.  Put the sweet potatoes on the baking sheet and drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil, mixing up to spread the oil around evenly.  Bake for 25-30 minutes until the edges are starting to color and turn brown.

Meanwhile, prepare the rice with the correct amount of water as instructed on the package, adding the sazon packet to the water prior to boiling.  Set aside.

Meanwhile, in a medium skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon oil, and saute the ground turkey, with adobo seasoning, until cooked through and no pink remains.

In a separate skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat and add 1 layer of the sliced plantains.  Cook for 3 minutes, flip, and cook for an additional 3 minutes.

Assemble everything into your taco bowl!  Add the rice to the center of the bowl, assemble all other items around the rice and dig in.  This will serve 4 people, or create 4-5 lunches for the week.

Popular Posts