New York Times Roast Recipe

I love cooking and baking, I enjoy spending time in the kitchen turning simple ingredients into delicious meals.  But life gets busy, and when I get home from work and the gym, I just want food as quickly as possible.  That puts me in danger of grabbing popcorn and chocolate for dinner way too often, unless I plan ahead. 
I cook larger meals on Sunday if I'm in town, or Monday if I'm not, that will last me through the week.  And if the meal won't be too expensive, all the better.  The New York Times posted a recipe called "Off-Oven Roast Beef" which combines several things I love, most of all taking an inexpensive cut of beef, turning it into a weeks worth of meals, and making it super easy to cook in the process.
You only need about 5 minutes of prep time, to rub the roast with seasonings.  It goes into a super hot oven for 5 minutes per pound, then you turn the oven off and just let it sit.  The NYT recipe says for 2 hours, which is how I prepared the roast for the pictures here.  Recently I've been doing 1 hour instead, to let the beef stay more pink, but both preparations were delicious- you really can't go wrong.  And can you see just how juicy this is?  Make sure to spoon some of the roasting juices over your slices when you're serving (and over your potatoes, and your veggies, and...).  It's a super easy recipe that is truly hard to screw up, perfect!
With the oven off, I couldn't roast veggies like I'm used to doing, so I made mashed potatoes on the stove, and pan-roasted some broccoli too.  You could do pasta, rice, salad, or other stir-fried veggies to accompany.  Do you have any other suggestions for me?  Put them in the comments!
Recipe from The New York Times:

Ingredients:
1 beef roast (top or bottom round), about 3 pounds
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
red pepper flakes to taste

Preheat oven to 500 degrees.

Mix the salt, pepper, garlic, olive oil, and red pepper flakes (if desired) in a small bowl to become a paste.  Spread this all over the roast, to evenly coat.  Place the beef roast, fat side up, in a cast iron skillet, and cook in the oven for 5 minutes per pound.

Turn off the oven and do not open the oven door for 2 hours (or 1 hour, if you'd like your meat a little more medium).  Slice and serve alongside salad, potatoes, pasta, or whatever else you have planned for your meal.

Enjoy!

Popular Posts