Double Chocolate Cookies (Flourless)

I bet you thought I forgot about you, and those extra egg whites of yours leftover from the chocolate pots de creme.  I didn't!  I just got a little busy, as usual.  But I promise these cookies are worth it.  They remind me of a cross between a macaron and a chocolate chip cookie.  I swear, they're that good.  But they're also super easy!
Macarons can be finicky, and time consuming, but the crisp exterior and chewy interior make them super worth it.  Chocolate chip cookies are much more forgiving and easy, and always delicious.  Combine those two cookies, and we have a super cookie.  Did I mention that there's no flour, so these are naturally gluten free?  Also there's no dairy.  Because of course we needed one more reason to love them.
Side note- I often have leftover egg whites stored in my freezer.  I make this pudding pie for special occasions, and there are a few other recipes in my rotation that seem to use additional yolks.  I've tried freezing egg yolks, to no success- have you been able to successfully store egg yolks for use much later??  I think next time I'll try this if I have leftover yolks.  But extra egg whites are the easy part!  I use an empty and clean ice cube tray, and spray it with cooking spray.  Separate your egg whites and yolks like you usually do, and pour each individual egg white into its own ice cube slot.  I use large eggs, and the egg white usually tops out in my ice cube trays (just the cheapy ones that come with rented apartments), but you can also do the same thing with a muffin tin (sprayed with cooking spray first) if you think your egg whites won't fit, or if you don't have an ice cube tray.  Let the egg whites freeze and firm up in the freezer for an hour or so, then with some tray twisting, and leaving the egg whites on the counter for about 5 minutes to thaw at the edges, I can relocate them to a sealed tupperware container in the freezer, for use when I just need egg whites.  You definitely don't want to defrost these in the microwave, so I'd recommend trying to plan ahead and defrosting in the fridge overnight before needing them, or I've had success with setting the container in some warm water and letting the ambient heat warm up the egg whites without cooking them.  It still takes some time, so plan ahead when possible before needing one or more of your frozen egg whites.  But seriously, I've had no issues with the defrosted egg whites, yay for not wasting food!

Ok, back to the chocolate.
I doubled the recipe, and by the time I was baking the last batch of cookies, they had developed feet, and a nice shiny exterior, just like macarons!  I think for the next bake, I'll do that on purpose.  One major thing to note is that these don't have any fat to them, no oil or butter or anything, so they don't keep very well for a long time.  They were a little crumbly, but good if you microwaved them first.  I didn't try freezing them, but let me know if you have success with that!
Flourless Double Chocolate Cookies
(recipe from Food52, courtesy Homesick Texan)

Ingredients:
2-1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and line baking sheets with parchment paper.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, or large bowl with a hand held mixer, mix the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, cinnamon, and salt. Stir in the egg whites with a stand or hand mixer until the batter is well mixed. Stir in the vanilla extract and chocolate chips by hand. The batter will look strange, like slimey brownie mix with lots of chocolate chips, but don't worry about it.

Drop tablespoon-sized blobs of dough (highly recommend a cookie scoop for this) onto the prepared baking trays about an inch apart, they will spread a bit. Bake until the cookies are cracking on the surface, about 15 minutes.

Let cool for 10 minutes on the tray then carefully move to a cooling rack. These will keep in a covered container for three days.

Popular Posts